BolognaBookPlus is launching Indie Authors Book Jacket Award, as part of its initiatives dedicated to self-publishing, with the aim of giving visibility to the best covers by self-published authors, highlighting a growing sector in the book world. This new initiative will enable the discovery of new talent, through the variety of covers that represent them.
According to the latest data published in February 2023, more than 2.3 million titles out of over four million were self-published in the US alone in 2021.
Graphic-editorial quality, innovation and creativity are the main criteria in the judging process.
There are four main categories: FICTION, NON-FICTION, YOUNG/CHILDREN AND COMICS. The winner and the mentions, whose covers will be exhibited at the BolognaBookPlus area during BCBF2024, will additionally be given visibility in press releases, on the website, and in the fair newsletters.
Who can take part
- Participation in the Indie Authors Book Jacket Award is free and open to all self-published authors worldwide. You can participate with multiple titles (as long as self-published) and across all genres. Book jackets of books that have been published by publishers are not eligible.
- There will be one overall self-published jacket winner, plus honourable mentions in each of the four main genres (FICTION, NON FICTION, COMICS, YOUNG/CHILDREN).
Why enter the contest
- The Indie Authors Book Jacket Award is the first edition of the award created by BBplus, brand extension of the Bologna Children’s Book Fair, on the occasion of Self-publishing: How to Succeed in Italy and Abroad, an event that, in its third edition, intends to give space and prominence to this increasingly important sector of publishing.
- The jacket is the first element that attracts the reader: the aim of the contest is to overcome prejudices against self-publishing, rewarding the best of indie editorial graphics.
- The fair is an exceptional opportunity for networking and visibility. The award-winning covers will have broad visibility and will be exhibited throughout the duration of the event.