1 - AIMS
The aims of the Illustrators Exhibition, staged as part of the Bologna Children’s Book Fair, organized by BolognaFiere S.p.A. and held from 30 March to 2 April 2020, are to bring illustrators and publishers together and to promote illustrators and their work among publishers.
2 - ELIGIBILITY
Individual illustrators or groups of illustrators of any nationality, provided they were born prior to 31st December 2002, whose artwork is intended for use in children’s books, are eligible to enter the Exhibition, either directly or through publishing houses or schools.
The ENTRY FORM have to be completed in Italian or English, specifying on the entry form whether you are entering work for the Fiction or Non Fiction Category. Illustrators may only enter one category (Fiction or Non-Fiction).
The entrants must send five original illustrations (fixed number), unpublished or published after January 1st, 2018, in black and white or colour, produced using any technique, including digital technique (send the prints in case of mixed technique (analogical and digital) or digital media).
Artwork previously submitted to the Exhibition may not be re-entered. The illustrations must be based on the same theme and must be numbered from 1 to 5 (labels enclosed) in the desired order. The number of illustrations (5) is mandatory. Submissions of any other number of works will be rejected.
Texts are not admitted if they are not an integral part of the illustrations themselves.
The entry form must be filled in and submitted together with the illustrations no later than October 4th, 2019 (the postmark date will serve as proof) to the address indicated in the coupon available upon completion of your online entry registration.
Artwork sent after this deadline will not be considered.
3 – SHIPMENT
Entries may be delivered by post or express delivery service.
For the shipment, please use the coupon with pre-printed address, provided in PDF format upon completion of your online entry registration.
Material should be sent “carriage paid”, inclusive of any customs and delivery costs.
From non-UE countries we suggest to send the illustrations by express courier. For customs purposes we recommend to declare a value not exceeding 22 EUR. To facilitate Italian customs operations, the wording “illustrations of no commercial value” should be specified on the forwarding documents.
BolognaFiere may not be held accountable for the non-arrival or late arrival of artwork.
4 - REQUIREMENTS
The illustrations (i.e. the size of the sheet) must not exceed the following dimensions:
- Fiction: 32 x 42 cm (or 42 x 32cm)
- Non Fiction: 50 x 70 cm (70 x 50 cm)
Illustrations in larger formats will not be considered, nor will they be returned by BolognaFiere.
The illustrations must be on paper or flexible board, maximum thickness 2 mm (for scanner separation purposes). If illustrations on stiff backing are sent, BolognaFiere will detach the illustrations at the artist’s risk.
The illustrations must be sent without passe-partout or any other form of mounting. BolognaFiere will mount the artwork, as it deems appropriate.
All published works must be accompanied by a declaration bearing the ISBN number, publisher’s name and address.
5 - SELECTION PROCESS
All artwork sent by the stated deadline - October 4th, 2019 - and meeting the specified requirements will be examined and selected by an international panel (whose decision is final), comprising five members (from publishing houses, art schools, museum curators or illustrators) appointed each year by BolognaFiere.
All illustrators selected will also be admitted to two other initiatives organized in co-operation with the Bologna Children’s Book Fair, which are here shortly outlined and whose rules and regulations are available and downloadable at the indicated address:
- the "Bologna Children’s Book Fair – Fundación SM International Award for Illustration”: dedicated to illustrators under 35 years of age, the Award will be assigned by an international jury of experts (not including the panelists who have chosen the works for the Illustrators Exhibition). The winner will receive a prize of 15,000 dollars and will be offered to illustrated a children’s book to be published by Grupo SM, Spain. One year later the book will be presented during the Fair and a special exhibition organized to highlight the work of the inning artist. For all specific details please refer to the Rules of Entry of the International Award.
- The ARS IN FABULA Grant Award, supported by ARS IN FABULA - Scuola di Illustrazione in collaboration with BolognaFiere, devoted to illustrators under 30 years of age who have not yet published their work. The grant shall be awarded by a jury composed of Master course lecturers and the winner will be given the opportunity to attend free of charge the ARS IN FABULA – First level Master Degree Course in Illustration for publishing, working on a book project to be assigned by one of the Master course partner publishers. For all specific details please refer to the Rules of Entry of the Grant Award.
6 - ANNUAL
Each illustrator selected by the Committee will be granted two pages in the Annual, for the reproduction of all or some of the illustrations - at the discretion of BolognaFiere S.p.A. - as well as a space for bio-bibliographic notes.
BolognaFiere has the right to choose the works to be published in the Annual and to make complete or partial reproductions. BolognaFiere may not be held liable for errors or omissions.
While the illustrators remain the sole owners of their artwork, they acknowledge for free the non-exclusive right of BolognaFiere to:
- reproduce their illustrations in the Annual and on posters, leaflets and other Exhibition literature and also in any other medium (digital medium, on-line systems), also with the aim of promoting the exhibition or other initiative related to the "Bologna Children's Book Fair";
- publish or republish all or part of the Annual in Italian or other languages and to grant these same rights to third parties in any place, for the duration of ten years;
- grant to third parties the possibility to reproduce the illustrations selected for any aim including for promotional purpose.
The illustrators undertake not to advance claims in respect of the reproduction, publication and use in any form of their artwork by BolognaFiere and/or to third parties, whose intention is to promote around the world the artists featured in the Exhibition.
7 – EXHIBITIONS ABROAD
After the Bologna event, the Illustrators Exhibition will travel to Japan under the supervision of JBBY, to Korea and to China. The Illustrators Exhibition may subsequently be transferred to venues in other countries at the discretion of BolognaFiere.
The Illustrators hereby relieve BolognaFiere from any and all responsibility in respect of damage, thefts or loss that the illustrations might sustain during their stay abroad as well as on their outward and return journeys. The exhibitions of illustrations held abroad are subject to the same rules and regulations as the Illustrators Exhibition, and the provisions of the regulations are extended to the organizers of the exhibitions held abroad.
8 - RETURN OF ARTWORK
Illustrators selected: all the works featured in the Illustrators Exhibition will be returned as far as possible to their owners by BolognaFiere or directly by the organizers of the exhibitions held abroad by the end of June 2022, unless different notice in case of exhibition abroad. In any case, the illustrations selected and displayed may not be returned or replaced during the Exhibitions at the Fair and/or abroad.
Illustrators not selected: the artwork may be returned as far as possible in one of the following ways:
- collected in person during the Illustrators Exhibition (30 March - 2 April 2020) from the Pick Up Office;
- sent by registered mail on presentation of a request by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org within 31st December 2020, at BolognaFiere’s expense for the illustrators resident abroad.
After this deadline, the illustrations will not be returned.
9 – RESPONSIBILITY
The participant expressly releases BolognaFiere from any responsibility and third party claims related to the contents of the artwork he/she is submitting for the Exhibition.
Besides, the artist/school/publisher hereby releases BolognaFiere and the organizers of the exhibitions abroad from all liability for damage to submitted works (including theft and fire) incurred during transport, while held at the exhibitions or while being returned.
- BolognaFiere will however take out an insurance policy covering the works selected for the event against damage, fire or theft for the duration of the Exhibition in Bologna: each illustration will be insured for a maximum sum of € 250,00 which may be increased by the illustrator at his/her request and expense;
- it is asked by BolognaFiere to the organizers of the new editions of the Exhibition abroad to take out an insurance against damage and theft of the illustrations covering the transportation and the Exhibition abroad.
For the non-selected artwork BolognaFiere ensures that the greatest care will be taken with the return of the works by forwarding agent or by mail, even though it may not be held liable for any damage occurring during the transportation.
10 - EXHIBITION CANCELLATION AND CHANGES; LAW AND JURISDICTION
BolognaFiere may cancel the Exhibition or change the dates thereof. By submitting the application, the artist accepts and acknowledges the Exhibition Regulations and all the rules that BolognaFiere may introduce. Relations between BolognaFiere and the illustrators are governed by Italian law. Any disputes will be subject to the jurisdiction of the Italian courts and to the sole competence of the law court of Bologna.