1 - AIMSThe aims of the Illustrators Exhibition (hereinafter also “the Exhibition”), staged as part of the Bologna Children’s Book Fair, organized from 21 to 24 March 2022 by BolognaFiere S.p.A. in the Bologna trade show grounds are to bring illustrators and publishers together and to promote illustrators and their work among publishers.
2 - ELIGIBILITYIndividual illustrators or groups of illustrators of any nationality, provided they were born prior to 31 December 2004, whose artwork is intended for use in children’s books, are eligible to enter the Exhibition, either directly or through publishing houses, associations of illustrators or schools.Applicants must complete the ENTRY FORM available online, specifying whether they are entering their work for the Fiction or Non-Fiction Category. 5 (five) works must be forwarded in digital format following the procedure indicated in Article 4 of these Regulations. Work may be unpublished, or published after 1 January 2020, and may be produced in black and white or colour using any technique.To allow the jury selecting the winners to have a full understanding of the works entered, applicants must indicate the sizes of their original illustrations on their Entry Form.The maximum sizes allowed are: for the Fiction category: 32x42cm or 42x32cm, and for the Non-Fiction category: 50x70cm or 70x50cm.Artworks that were submitted for previous editions of the Illustrators Exhibition may not be re-entered.The 5 artworks must be based on the same theme and must be numbered from 1 to 5 on the digital format file in the desired order. The number of artworks (5) is mandatory. Submissions of any other number of works will be rejected.Artwork may be entered in only one category (Fiction or Non-Fiction).The artwork submitted must not contain any text that is not an integral part of said artwork.All published works entered must be accompanied by a declaration bearing the ISBN number, publisher’s name and address.Entering artwork for selection for the Exhibition is free of any charge and requires full acceptance by the applicant of the Regulations hereto.
3. PROCEDURE FOR ONLINE ENTRY OF ARTWORKRegistration and upload of artwork files must be entered exclusively on the Bologna Children’s Book Fair website: www.bolognachildrensbookfair.com
4. TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS OF FILES TO BE UPLOADEDFormat: jpg or png – max size 5 MBResolution: 150 DPI
5. ENTRY DEADLINEThe Entry Form and file upload function will be available exclusively on the Bologna Children’s Book Fair website www.bolognachildrensbookfair.com
The registration and file upload function will be made available from 15 OCTOBER 2021 TO 12 NOVEMBER 2021.
All entries must, without exception, be received by 12 NOVEMBER 2021. Registrations received after this date will not be included in the selection process.
6. SHIPMENT OF ORIGINAL WORKS (of entries selected by the Jury)To have their artwork included in the Illustrators Exhibition of Bologna Children’s Book Fair, all selected applicants must ship the originals of the illustrations selected to the address and by the date to be indicated in due course by the Organizing Secretariat of the Illustrators Exhibition.
In the event of artwork produced with mixed (analog and digital) or completely digital techniques, winners should send good quality prints.
Entries may be delivered by post or express delivery service.
Parcels must be sent to arrive “carriage paid” (i.e. with no charge accruing to the addressee). Any customs duties or delivery charges shall, without exception, be paid by the illustrator selected.
Shipment by express delivery is to be preferred for shipment from non-EU countries. For customs purposes, we recommend indicating a low value value of the goods shipped, and that the wording: “illustrations of no commercial value” be written on the forwarding documents. BolognaFiere shall not be held accountable for the non-arrival or late arrival of artwork, nor for the eventual loss, theft or damage, either of the whole package or of individual artworks contained in the package. Claims for compensatory damages in this respect shall not be accepted.
Artwork received after the deadline given or through channels other than those indicated shall automatically be excluded from the 2022 Illustrators Exhibition.
7. ARTWORK SPECIFICATIONSThe artwork (i.e. the size of the sheet) must not exceed the following sizes:
Larger format artwork will not be considered, nor will they be returned by BolognaFiere. The artwork must be on paper or flexible board, maximum thickness 2 mm. If artwork on stiff backing is received, BolognaFiere shall detach the illustrations at the artist’s risk.
The illustrations must be sent without passe-partout or any other form of mounting. BolognaFiere will, at its own discretion, mount the artwork in keeping with the staging of the Exhibition. The choices made by BolognaFiere may not be challenged in any way.
8. SELECTION PROCESSAll artworks compliant with the entry regulations and uploaded on the Bologna Children’s Book Fair website shall be examined by the international Jury comprising five members (from publishing houses, art schools, museum curators or illustrators) appointed by BolognaFiere. The Jury’s decision shall be final.
The Jury will make a first selection, choosing approximately 300 finalists, whose names will be published on the Bologna Children’s Book Fair website on 10 January 2022. The Jury will make its final selection of the winners whose names will be published on the Bologna Children’s Book Fair website on 17 January 2022.
9. OPPORTUNITIES OPEN TO THE WINNERSIllustrators under 30 or 35 years of age who have been selected for the 2022 Illustrators Exhibition and who have delivered their artwork in the manner and within the deadlines indicated, shall be automatically entered for two other awards organized by different institutions in partnership with BolognaFiere / Bologna Children’s Book Fair:
10. THE ILLUSTRATORS ANNUALEach illustrator selected for the Illustrators Exhibition will have two pages in the Illustrators Annual dedicated to him/her in which all or some of the artwork will, at the discretion of BolognaFiere S.p.A., be reproduced, accompanied by a space for biographical and bibliographic notes.
BolognaFiere hereby reserves the right to choose the works to be published in the Illustrators Annual and to make complete or partial reproductions. BolognaFiere may not be held liable for errors or omissions. While the illustrators remain the sole owners of their artwork, they hereby acknowledge the non-exclusive right of BolognaFiere, entailing no charge, to:
The illustrators undertake not to advance claims in respect of the reproduction, publication and use in the above-mentioned forms of their artwork by BolognaFiere and/or third parties, hereby acknowledging BolognaFiere’s intention with such action to promote throughout the world the work of the artists featured in the Exhibition.
11. EXHIBITIONS OUTSIDE ITALYAfter the Bologna event, the Illustrators Exhibition will travel to Japan under the curatorship of the Japanese Board on Books for Young People (JBBY), to Korea, curated by CCOC – Content’s Creator of Culture, and to China where it will be curated by Niu Niu Culture. The Illustrators Exhibition may subsequently be transferred to venues in other countries at the discretion of BolognaFiere. Illustrators hereby undertake to hold harmless BolognaFiere from any and all liability in respect of damage, thefts or loss that the illustrations may sustain while outside Italy as well as on their outward and return journeys.
The Regulations governing the Illustrators Exhibition shall also apply to the exhibitions held outside Italy, the organizers of the exhibitions staged outside Italy being bound by the contractual obligations of the Regulations hereto.
The illustrators included in the Illustrators Exhibition grant the organizers of the various stages of the exhibitions held outside Italy the non-exclusive right entailing no charge to reproduce the artwork selected on posters, leaflets and other Exhibition literature as well as on any other support (digital medium, on-line systems), also for promotional purposes of the Exhibition itself.
12. RETURN OF THE ARTWORK OF SELECTED ILLUSTRATORSAll the artwork of the winning illustrators shall be returned to their owners by BolognaFiere or directly by the organizers of the Exhibitions staged outside Italy by the month of June 2024, unless notice has been given of further exhibitions to be held outside Italy. In any event, the artwork included in the 2022 Illustrators Exhibition may not be returned, withdrawn or replaced during the Exhibition and/or during the period of the exhibitions held outside Italy.
13. PROMOTION ACTIVITY FOR WINNERS AND FINALISTS
BolognaFiere will carry out various promotional initiatives in favour of the Winners chosen by the jury to participate in the Illustrators Exhibition and of the Finalists, i.e. those artists whose artwork is selected after the first selection process but who are not subsequently selected for inclusion the Illustrators Exhibition.
The illustrators shall remain the exclusive owners of their work, they hereby acknowledge and accept BolognaFiere’s - and its official partners when authorized by BolognaFiere to do so – the non-exclusive right entailing no charge to:
Bologna Children’s Book Fair reserves the right to choose all or some of the artwork including a possible space for biographical and bibliographical notes, to use them in the above-mentioned forms, and to reproduce them, also in part. BolognaFiere shall not be liable for any errors or omissions in this respect.
The illustrators hereby relinquish all and any claims in respect of the use in the above-mentionedmentioned forms by BolognaFiere and/or third parties of their artwork, acknowledging that any such action is intended by BolognaFiere to promote the Winners and the Finalists of the selection process for the Illustrators Exhibition in the world.
14. LIABILITYApplicants hereby agree to hold harmless BolognaFiere from and against any liability and third-party claims related to the contents of the artwork they have submitted for the Exhibition. In addition, the artist/school/publisher hereby releases BolognaFiere and the organizers of the exhibitions outside Italy from all liability for damage to submitted works (including theft and fire) incurred during transport, while held at the exhibitions or while being returned.
15. EXHIBITION CANCELLATION AND CHANGES; LAW AND JURISDICTIONBolognaFiere may cancel the Exhibition or change the dates thereof. By submitting the application, illustrators accept and acknowledge the Exhibition Regulations and all the rules that BolognaFiere may introduce. Relations between BolognaFiere and the illustrators are governed by Italian law. Any disputes will be subject to the jurisdiction of the Italian courts and to the sole competence of the law court of Bologna.