The Illustrators Survival Corner is a reference point for illustrators at BCBF where artists – young emerging talent especially – can share experiences and concerns of the profession with a whole range of international experts and find the tools they need to launch and enhance their career. This hands-on seminar and solutions focused event takes place over four days, offering a rich programme of workshops, portfolio reviews, masterclasses and meetings held by internationally renowned artists. The space is managed and designed by Mimaster Illustrazione (Milan), an international training institution for illustrators.
The activities of the Corner are aimed at young emerging artists and professionals, offering a daily line-up of events that includes:
- Portfolio Reviews: an opportunity for inexperienced illustrators to present their portfolios to important publishers, illustrators, authors, agents and art directors in order to receive opinions and suggestions.
- Workshops: tips on design and planning for illustrators held by international artists.
- Masterclass “Survival Tools for the profession”: seminars on the basics of working in publishing: from self-promotion to managing interviews with the publisher, from the contract to social media.
- Meet the jury: cycles of meetings, workshops and portfolio reviews with the Illustrators Exhibition jurors (in 2019: Diego Bianchi, Alessandro Sanna, Harriet van Reek, Macjek Byliniak).
- Red Carpet: masterclasses and workshops with international artists such as - in 2019 - Lorenzo Mattotti, Klaas Verplancke, Beatrice Alemagna, Emilio Urberuaga, Roger Mello, Kestutis Kasparavicius.
During the last edition (2019), the Illustrators Survival Corner achieved some outstanding results: 105 guests among artists, authors, publishing and visual communication professionals; 36 masterclasses and 8 workshops held by internationally renowned illustrators; 50 portfolio reviews. The Corner saw around 6,300 visitors overall, with over 5,300 participants involved in its activities, while around 1,000 attendees visited the Shanghai Impressions exhibition which was held at the Corner.
Guests who took part in the activities of the 2019 Survival Corner were: Adolfo Serra, Alessandro Sanna, Alla-Lina Mattar, Amma Mas Blasco, Ana Zavadlav, Anna Castagnoli, Anna Desnitskaya, Aretha Campbell, Arianna Squilloni, Ayami Moriizumi, Barbara Rigon, Beatrice Alemagna, Caco Bressane, Chiara Richelmi, Chiara Zarmati, Chih-Yuan Chen, Christopher Myers, Clara Jubete, Conc Corrado Rabitti, Cristina Angelucci, Cristina Portolano, Daisy Zuo, Daniela Valente, Daria Kirpach, Davide Bonazzi, Diego Bianchi, Davide Calì, Derek Brazell, Ekua Holmes, Elenia Beretta, Elisa Macellari, Emiliano Ponzi, Eva Jimenez, Evelyn Daviddi, Emilio Urberuaga, Elisabetta Bianchi, Federico Maggioni, Flavia Bomfim, Francesca Chessa, Francesco Chiacchio, Georgia Luckman, Géraldine Alibeu, Giovanni Munari, Gianluca Folì, Giovanni Scarduelli, Heimi Ilaria Tontardini, Guido Scarabottolo, Ilaria Urbinati, Martoz, Harriet van Reek, Irene Penazzi, Iris Samartzi, Isaak Friedl, Joan Negrescolor, Johanna Schaible, Maria Ballarotti, Katsumi Komagata, Miguel Pang Ly, Kestutis Kasparavicius, Lucie Luddington, Klaas Verplancke, Paola Parazzoli, Lorenzo Mattotti, Laura Re, Macjek Byliniak, Paolo Rui, Monica Monachesi, Maria Russo, Madeleine Frochaux, Maria Sole Macchia, Marina Marcolin, Masha Titova, Polina Plavinskaya, Miguel Tanco, Ramón Parir, Thomas Baas, Sergio Ruzzier, Raquel Bonita, Monika Vaicenaviciene, Sandrine Bonini, Roger Mello, Spela Frlic, Silvia Razzini, Vendi Vernic, Vania Trolese, Susanna Gentili, Yi Yang, Vicky Willden-Lebrecht, Toyohiko Kokumai, Walter Fochesato, Viviana Donella, Xavier Zabala.