ART.1 - PURPOSE OF THE AWARD
On the occasion of the 2024 Bologna Children’s Book Fair, BolognaFiere will confer the "BolognaRagazzi Award" (BRAW) in the sections FICTION, NON-FICTION, COMICS, OPERA PRIMA (DEBUT WORK), TODDLERS (new permanent category), and the Special Category for 2024 entitled THE SEA.
- FICTION: dedicated to fictional works of stories or fables in the form of picturebooks or publications whose illustrations are the predominant feature. BolognaRagazzi Award is not a literary prize. Novels and short stories shall not be taken into consideration by the Jury.
- NON-FICTION: this section shall include publications providing general or special information on any area of knowledge, science, history, music, current affairs, art or any other topic broadening the learning experience, including biographies.
- COMICS: this section includes three subsections: EARLY READER (ages 6 to 9), MIDDLE GRADE (ages 9 to 12) and YOUNG ADULT (13 years and up) and is dedicated to comics and graphic novels.
- OPERA PRIMA (DEBUT WORK): this section is reserved for works of hitherto unpublished authors or illustrators with the aim of acknowledging innovative projects and the research they entail. Works by unpublished authors and illustrators entered for the COMICS category shall also be considered eligible for the Debut Work Award.
- TODDLERS: this new permanent BRAW category is reserved for books and board books published for infants and very young children (0 to 3 years). Titles first published as picturebooks and subsequently as board books shall not be accepted as candidates for this category.
- THE SEA: The Special Category of the 2024 edition of the BolognaRagazzi Award is dedicated to books on any theme involving the sea: scientific, naturalistic, socio-political, ecological. etc. The winning publications and a selection of the best titles will be presented in a special exhibition at the 39th IBBY WORLD CONGRESS to be held from 30 August to 1 September 2024 in Trieste, an Italian port located in the heart of Europe.The Sea Special Category shall accept publications released during the period 2018 – 2023.
The Jury is also entitled to assign: special mentions in each award category, as well as THE NEW HORIZONS SPECIAL JURY AWARD for a work of excellence from among all those entered - for whatever BRAW category - by publishers from around the world.
The Awards - consisting of a Certificate of Commendation - will be chosen at the sole discretion of a specialist International Jury, made up of sector experts, who shall take into consideration the graphic art, artistic, typographical, technical and pedagogic quality of the works submitted.
ART.2 – REQUIREMENTS
Participation in the BolognaRagazzi Award is free of charge and reserved for Publishers regardless of whether or not they are Exhibitors at Bologna Children’s Book Fair. Self-published titles or books presented by their author(s) shall not be accepted as candidates.
Publications received in error, or not eligible for the competition shall not be returned to the sender. Participation in the Award is subject to full acceptance of these Regulations by the submitting publisher.
In particular, each participant declares and warrants that he/she is the owner of the rights allowing submission of the works to the competition, hereby releasing BolognaFiere S.p.A. of all and any liability in respect of third-party claims.
Translated works shall not be accepted.
ART. 3 - SUBMISSION REGULATIONS
Publishers participating in the Award may enter one or more works, provided that all entries are the original edition and have been published in the following periods:
- FICTION: original editions published for the first time during the period 1 January 2022 - 31 December 2023
- NON-FICTION: original editions published for the first time during the period 1 January 2022 - 31 December 2023
- COMICS: original editions published for the first time during the period 1 January 2022- 31 December 2023
- OPERA PRIMA (DEBUT WORK): original editions published for the first time during the period 1 January 2023 - 31 December 2023
- TODDLERS: original editions published for the first time during the period 1 January 2022 31 December 2023
- THE SEA: original editions published for the first time during the period 1 January 2018 – 31 December 2023
ART. 4 - PUBLISHER SHEET
Three (3) copies of each title must be submitted, along with a completed Publisher Sheet. In addition, a completed BOOK CARD must be inserted in each of the three copies submitted.
Both the PUBLISHER SHEET AND THE BOOK CARD can be downloaded from the Bologna Children’s Book Fair website in the sector dedicated to the BolognaRagazzi Award.
The deadline for entering books for the Award shall be 15 December 2023.
All submissions must arrive at the Organizing Secretariat during the period from 5 October 2023 to 12 January 2024. Entries may be sent by post, express courier or hand-delivered to:
c/o Giannino Stoppani Cooperativa Sociale
Via Nosadella 51/a
40123 BOLOGNA, ITALY
Phone no.: + 39 051 587055 / +39 051 6154463
ART. 4.1 - MAILING OR SHIPPING OF ENTRIES
Books entered for the competition must be dispatched in packaging bearing the prescribed BRAW packaging label, which publishers can download from their Reserved Area on the BCBF website.
All titles must be received by the BolognaRagazzi Award Secretariat carriage paid.
All titles coming from outside the European Union must be sent with prepayment of all customs clearance and delivery costs (carriage paid to domicile cleared through customs). Please note that the books received shall have no commercial value for BolognaFiere. It is therefore recommended that for customs purposes a value be indicated that is consistent with publications forwarded for the sole purpose of participation in a competition.
Only those titles, the three copies of which contain a completed BOOK CARD, arriving in packages containing a copy of the Publisher Sheet shall be eligible to enter the competition. BolognaFiere declines any liability in the event of non-delivery or late arrival of the titles submitted.
Books received cannot be returned to sender or to any other address.
ART. 5 - JURY
All titles shall be submitted to the final decision of an International Jury, which shall be made up of sector experts. The Jury reserves the right, should it deem necessary, to transfer works from one category to another and to adjudicate the Special Jury NEW HORIZONS Award from among all the entries in all the competition categories.
ART. 6 - RIGHTS OF BOLOGNAFIERE
The titles entered and received free of charge will under no circumstances be returned and may be included by BolognaFiere in permanent or itinerant promotional exhibitions in Italy or abroad, but also may be donated to libraries in Italy or elsewhere.
The Publisher shall remain the exclusive owner of its titles but grants BolognaFiere the non-exclusive right:
- to reproduce the titles entered and accepted on posters, flyers and other printed matter pertaining to the "Bologna Children’s Book Fair" as well as on any other digital, internet and social media channels of “Bologna Children’s Book Fair”, and of its authorized official partners, also for general promotional purposes;
- to use, and also be entitled to cede this right to third parties, reproductions of the titles submitted and accepted, in any form, in the trade fair catalogue, as well as to reproduce said material in other publications pertaining to "Bologna Children’s Book Fair", provided the author(s) and the publisher(s) of the work in question are clearly stated.
BolognaFiere furthermore shall have the right to reproduce, also in part, the works submitted and accepted. BolognaFiere accepts no liability for eventual errors and omissions. Publishers shall forego all claims for compensation regarding the reproduction and use by BolognaFiere, which reserves the right to choose works in order to promote the exhibition “Bologna Children’s Book Fair” and the BolognaRagazzi Award, the subject matter of these Regulations.
ART. 7 – THE AWARD
The Award shall be assigned to the Publisher of the work declared the winner of its category. For the purposes of this competition, co-editions shall be considered only those publications expressly indicated as such on the cover and/or title page of the work. Bologna Children’s Book Fair shall send those Publishers winning awards or special mentions the digital kit confirming this acknowledgement. Publishers may reproduce and use this kit to promote the award/mention-winning book and may share same with publishers acquiring the publishing rights of said books in other countries.
ART. 8 – CANCELLATION OF OR CHANGES TO THE INITIATIVE
BolognaFiere may, at its sole discretion, decide to cancel the Award or change the dates without any compensation whatsoever being due to the participants.
ART. 9 - NATURE OF THE INITIATIVE
The initiative, whose terms and conditions are set down in these Regulations, qualifies for the exemption referred to in Art. 6 of Presidential Decree (DPR) no. 430 of 26 October 2001.
ART. 10 - ITALIAN JURISDICTION AND APPLICABLE LAW
Relations between the participants in this initiative and BolognaFiere shall be governed by Italian law. Any disputes arising shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the Italian judicial authorities and shall be the exclusive competence of the Bologna court of law.
ART. 11 - FINAL CLAUSE
Participation in the initiative and use of the awards are entirely free of charge and entail no obligation or commitment whatsoever over and above the provisions set out in these Regulations.